over land and water

when scots wha hae ... wha'ever

Thursday, September 22, 2005

A Day Off

It was a thankfully uneventful day. I slept in due to drinking too much, but the plan (at least for me) was to just kick it anyway. And indeed I was very happy to stay indoors while the weather blew by, sometimes raining, sometimes drizzling, sometimes pouring. I did indeed do my nails -- the conditions were primitive, but I managed -- and I read, and I stared out the window at the passing light/dark parade in the sky.

Deb went out of course, all decked out in her hiking/rain gear. She visited with Sadie at the shop and also hiked a bit. And of course she took pictures. I really love this thistle, isn't it prickle-ishly gorgeous?



Despite knowing I missed some lovely scenery, I do not regret staying in the room to recharge. But she saw some amazing vistas. You could write books of poems about the light in Scotland; here it is no exception.







And a couple of the shots she took made me ponder how much the remotest places can strike one as soooo familiar...





In the evening we went down to the hotel pub and ordered a bottle of wine. We drank from it while sitting by a window overlooking the parking lot, and the water/Skye beyond. We watched people coming in to dine/drink; not too many. In a far corner sat a couple with a dog that barked at us when we came in. They seemed friendly, but the dog wasn't.

We had dinner in the nearly deserted restaurant, again sitting by the front window. Gazing out into darkness, really. It felt totally comfortable, if ultra-casual. The dinner was good, mainly just relaxing. We had some pate as a shared appetizer. I had steak for an entree. Went back upstairs and packed up for yet another day of traveling tomorrow. We decided to catch the 9 a.m. ferry out and go to ... uh, I forget which town on Skye, to purchase a bigger bag with wheels for me for my London jaunt ... due to British Airways strict baggage rules. First there is Glasgow, but I'm both excited and a little daunted by my ever-looming solo trip. At least I will have the excuse of work to distract me.