over land and water

when scots wha hae ... wha'ever

Thursday, September 15, 2005

A Far Green Country

Well, here I am in Scotland. We arrived on Wednesday morning, and my luggage didn't make it. I'm halfway around the world with nothing but the clothes on my back ... and all of my carry-on crap. We landed in Glasgow but are now in Edinburgh -- American Airlines only makes one flight a day from Chicago to Glasgow, so I have to wait 'til tomorrow to see if my bag is found. Supposedly they will deliver it to me here, at this B&B, the Stuarts, where my sister Deb and I are staying. I am apprehensive of it coming, b/c I was the only one whose bag didn't make it. Despite the pretense of security and bag-claim checks and whatnot, there was no one checking anything at the bag claim. Anyone could have walked off with my bag. The flight did have two gate changes at O'Hare, so I am hoping my bag just got lost in the shuffle. Otherwise, I will have to go shopping ... in a place where a dollar is only worth 50 cents.

I went to the "Baggage Enquiries" window to report my missing bag; it was just this little office off to one side of the bag-claim area. Just one guy behind a counter, with a computer. He handed me a Customs form to fill out, something about having to fill it out b/c the bag is missing, I dunno. He also asked me a bunch of questions. As I had left all my stuff with Deb, who was still waiting by the carousel in case the wayward bag showed up, I asked him if I could use a pen. He said, "I've only got one pen." Which he was, of course, using to fill out his own paperwork. He wasn't even rude or anything, just sort of blandly matter-of-fact. I just stared at him for a second, although I was thinking all sorts of no doubt Ugly American thoughts, like, "Dude, your job is to have people fill out forms for their missing luggage, and you have to fill out forms too, and you only have one pen?! That is fucked up." But all I said was, "OK, I'll be back." And trudged off to retrieve a pen from my bookbag.

Welcome to the world. I want to go home.

Maybe not really, but I am feeling kind of what-the-fuck right now. I am really hating AA and want to cancel my everything with them. I don't even want to fly back on American. I wasn't going to check a bag but ended up feeling like I should save my back the trouble of hauling my heavy duffel bag through the airport. I hate making stupid decisions.

So, b/c of all that, and general exhaustion due to not sleeping on the daylong journey, we didn't do much our first day but get settled. We went to Bennett's pub for lunch (toasties, mmmm) and had a pint. Came back here and fucked around. Napped a few hours, woke up in the evening, decided to eat dinner at this nice Thai place, Thai Lemongrass, nearby. Amazing grilled duck w/orange sauce. Two glasses of wine. Excellent service. Then came back to the Stuarts' and watched some TV. We were curious about Scottish TV but ended up settling on the movie The Mexican, with Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts. It was wacky, but entertaining, and felt familiar. Everything here is ... not exactly alien but ... unfamiliar all the same.

I am having a lot of anxiety about my missing luggage. Am trying to believe it will show up. Brian and Dean, two of our fellow B&B guests, also had luggage problems on their trip, and I know it's pretty common. I just don't have much experience with it, so it's freaking me out. Deb gave me some PJs and a turtleneck I can wear tomorrow, so I should just chill out. Tomorrow, we go to Edinburgh Castle. I have to get up for breakfast by 9. I should try to sleep. I wish I had some pot.